Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving


Well, the time is upon us once again.

So many choices to make. Bake it? Barbeque it? Fry it? Ah, turkey. Lovely, delicious, moist, plump, juicy turkey. Were I a vegetarian, I'd kill myself around Thanksgiving without being able to sink my teeth into a 18 pound bird. Mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, veggies, pies... This is the day that I literally burst at the seams.

And I genuinely wonder sometimes why I've put on 150lbs since high school?

Of course, this is also the time of year for the annual viewing of one of my favorite films of all time, "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". I'm not going to go into a full blown review of the flick, but there's something very sweet about this film that brings home all of the good feelings that Thanksgiving should be all about. By the end of the picture, Dell Griffith is in the home of a man he only met two days before. He's the epitome of being less than wealthy, but he's got something even better to be thankful for: to spend Thanksgiving in a loving home with friends. So on this Thanksgiving Day I'm thankful not for my possessions or wealth but instead that I will be surrounded by family and friends.

Corny? Sure. But what the hell, it's Thanksgiving! I've got 364 other days of the year to be a cynic. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home